Songfest 2021 *IS* happening in a modified virtual format. For more about Songfest 2021, see here.
Songfest 2021 is being produced amidst very unusual circumstances arising from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Much of the information on this site may not be applicable to the Songfest 2021 production.
Songfest 2021 Let There Be Peace on Earth
Audio Recording Instructions
Overall Audio Workflow
Audio files are due on or before April 12. We are ready for your submissions!
- Load the reference video (bottom of page) on your "playback device" (typically a computer).
- Use another "recording device" (typically a smartphone) for recording your voice.
- Prepare the recording device.
- Select your recording app (see AUDIO RECORDING APPS/TOOLS below).
- Configure your recording settings (see notes on AUDIO QUALITY below).
- Find a quiet indoor location where you can record without interference
- Rehearse with the reference video until you are comfortable with the song, the lyrics, the timing at the end, and how you want to sing it.
- When recording, listen to the reference video ONLY through headphones (we need your voice recorded alone, without other sound).
- Start the reference video playback, and then start your audio recording.
- During the count-in to the song, there is a synchronization mark (an audible "beep", also called a "2-pop") right at the 2-second mark. Vocally give a short-and-high "boop" right at the 2-second mark. This helps us line up your recording with all the others.
- During recording, sing loud and proud while blending with the playback recording.
- After the song ends stop your recording.
- Repeat steps 7-10 until you have captured a recording you want to submit.
RENAME FILE AND SUBMIT
- Name the file of your audio recording as follows: "Peace - FirstName LastName" plus the file extension (usually ".m4a" but could also be ".wav", ".aif", etc.)
- We recommend transferring your recording to your computer before uploading.
- Submit your audio file! (Now available at bottom of page)
- Consider also submitting a video
- Problem with your submission? You may submit again. But make sure to clarify you want us to use the replacement.
- Join us for the Songfest 2021 performances!
- Technical questions? email@example.com
- All other communication: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ideally, we want you to record your singing performance in a high-quality LOSSLESS audio file format ("lossless" may also be referred to as uncompressed, PCM, full-resolution, CD-quality, etc.)
- Some common lossless file formats include:
- ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec, .m4a* file extension)
- *Apple Lossless files are saved with the .m4a extension. However, some other (lossy) audio file formats also use the .m4a extension, so while all ALAC files are .m4a files, most .m4a files are not Apple Lossless files. The point is, don't assume a file is lossless just because it has the .m4a extension. Check/configure your settings before you record.
- FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec, .flac file extension)
- WAVE (Waveform Audio File Format, .wav file extension)
- AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format, .aiff file extension)
- .MP3 files are NOT lossless. They are compressed in size and leave out audio sound information (i.e. they are "lossy")
- If possible, please record lossless/uncompressed audio. (If you cannot, we will still attempt to include your submission.)
- See the notes below for how to configure the most common phone voice recorder apps for lossless recording.
Audio Recording Apps/Tools
Apple iOS Voice Memos (recommended)
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Voice Memos > Audio Quality. Select "Lossless" (as opposed to "Compressed").
- Open the Voice Memos app
- Hold the phone about 4-6 inches from your mouth
- Tap the red record button to beign recording a new file, tap it again to stop recording.
- To edit your filename(s), hold your finger on the name of the desired recording. The name will become editable, and you can use the keyboard to name it appropriately.
- You can transfer your chosen Voice Memo file(s) to your computer before uploading. This also makes renaming the file(s) very easy.
Android Samsung Voice Recorder (recommended)
- Open the Voice Recorder app
- In the app settings (when viewing the Saved List within the app, click the vertical dots icon and select Settings), select Recording quality. Go to Sample Rate (Quality), and select 44.1 kHz (CD)
- Tap the red button to start a new recording, tap it again to stop recording
- After you stop a recording, you can name the file appropriately and then tap Save.
- You can transfer your chosen voice recordings to your computer before uplaoding. This also makes renaming the file(s) very easy.
Other Recording Software/Hardware
- You may use other equipment and/or software to record
- Please record in a high-quality lossless format, with a sample rate of at least 44.1 kHz (48 KHz is the best option, if it's an avaialble choice).
- Please DO NOT include any effects or processing in your recording. Please DO send us your raw, unprocessed voice. No reverb, no EQ, no compression, etc.
Record yourself as you sing along to this reference video:
Ready to Upload?
Submit Your Audio Recording
After you've finished your recording and prepared your file, start the submission process here.